The ABOHN Vision and Mission is incorporated into the planning of all ABOHN initiatives.
VISION: ABOHN Certification is recognized and valued as the standard to maximize the health and safety of workers worldwide.
MISSION: ABOHN's mission is to promote a standard of excellence in occupational health nursing through credentialing.
Principles and Values:
To accomplish its mission and vision, ABOHN commits its resources to achieving the following principles and values:
- Establish and promote credentialing standards for professional occupational health nurses.
- Publicly recognize individuals who demonstrate that they meet these standards.
- Elevate the quality of occupational health nursing practice.
- Stimulate the development of improved educational standards and programs in the field of occupational health nursing.
- Encourage occupational health nurses to continue their professional education.
- Perform the above unrestricted by consideration of national origin, race, creed, disability, color, age and gender.
- Create value for employers, their employees and the occupational health professional.
- Seek inclusion by partnering with organizations that share the ABOHN mission and values.
2018-2021 Strategic Initiatives
At the January 2019 board meeting, the ABOHN board of directors reviewed and approved an updated revision of the strategic plan. The Board reviews the strategic plan throughout the year to make sure that the business is on track.
For 2018-2021, the Board will focus on the following initiatives:
Strategy 1: Customer Value
- Provide support to applicants/candidates
- Develop survey for successful candidates. The Research committee will be reviewing survey development for those who have not been successful in obtaining certification to identify potential exam support needs for exam applicants and candidates.
- Recognize currently certified
- Those certificants celebrating a 10 year certification milestone will be recognized in the Fall 2019 newsletter.
- "ABOHN Values You" Campaign: On the last Friday of each month, ABOHN will randomly select a certified OHN to "Spotlight" in our weekly email.
- Recruit A Colleague: ABOHN will send information on our Recruit A Colleague initiative to all of the new credential holders as part of their package they receive after they have passed their exam.
Strategy 2: Quality
- Compliance with regulatory guidelines
- New practice Analysis completed in 2018. ABOHN will recruit a new Practice Analysis Committee consisting of Subject Matter Experts.
- NCCA Accreditation – ABOHN’s credentials, COHN, COHN-S, and CM, are accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). ABOHN is required to re accredit the credentials every 5 years. The application was submitted in May 2017 and is awaiting review by NCCA.
- Expectation of pass rate. The Board is closely monitoring exam results monthly. Each exam advisory board (COHN, COHN-S, and CM) completes an in-depth review of exam pass rates at the semi-annual board meeting. Each exam committee participates in annual exam review and revision in conjunction with the test consultant PSI to update the exams to reflect current practice.
- Working with PSI to generate new tests for all exams from the information from the 2018 Practice Analysis. ABOHN will not test applicants during December 2019, January and February of 2020 to create a bigger group of candidates in March 2020 to reliably set the standards, cut scores and review the new test. This "BLACK OUT" Campaign will begin in April 2019.
Strategy 3: Sustainability
- ABOHN remains financially viable. Please refer to financial review in this newsletter.
- Financials reviewed monthly by the Governing Council (GC).
- Item bank maintained in continued state of readiness
- Recruit and Maintain 12 Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) on the Exam Development Advisory Committee (EDAC)
Strategy 4: Outreach and Growth
- Public Relations
- Special recognition during OHN week.
- The third Friday of each month during our weekly email campaign, publish the names of the most recent newly certified, who took the exam in the previous month.